Aash-e Aaloo (Irani or Persian)
• 100 gm basmati or long-grain rice
• 500 gm herbs (parsley, mint, coriander, spring-onion ends)
• 250 gm ground lamb
• 300 gm pitted prunes
• 4 large onions
• cooking oil
• black pepper
1. Soak prunes in warm water for two hours.
2. Peel and slice two onions and fry in oil until slightly golden. Make ground meat into 2 cm balls and fry with onions until colour changes. Add 3-4 glasses of water, and bring to a boil.
3. Finely chop herbs. Wash rice once with warm water. Add herbs, rice, prunes (including the water it was soaked in), salt and black pepper to meat balls. Mix well and cook over medium heat for about 20 minutes.