Aash-e Shalgham (Irani or Persian)
• 500 gm turnip
• 100 gm long grain or basmati rice
• 200 gm ground lamb
• 2 large onions
• 50 gm split peas
• 1/2 tsp turmeric
• 100 gm mint fresh or 2 tsp dried
• cooking oil
• black pepper
1. Mix ground meat with grated onions, salt and black pepper. Shape into small balls, and fry in oil until colour changes. Add 4-5 glasses of hot water and split peas and cook over medium heat for about 10 minutes.
2. Wash turnip and rice. Peel turnip and cut into a few pieces. Add both to aash. Also add turmeric, salt and black pepper. Mix well and cook over low heat for about 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. If using fresh mint, wash and chop finely. Fry mint in oil over medium heat for 2-3 minutes and pour over aash when serving.