Barley & Meat Soup With Vegetables
• 250 gms. mutton
• 3/4 cup pearl barley (rinsed)
• 8 cups chicken stock (no salt)
• 2 potatoes (peeled & diced)
• 3 tomatoes (roughly sliced)
• 1 medium onion (chopped)
• 2 medium carrots, (chopped )
• 1 cup spring onion greens (chopped)
• 200 gms. fresh green beans (cut into 1/2 inch pieces)
• Salt & pepper to taste
• 1/2 tsp dried oregano
• Lemon juice (optional)
1. Bring chicken stock to boil with meat (Stock can be prepared with 2 chicken pieces, 9 cups water, 1 onion, 2 diced carrots, few pepper corns. Cook for 1 hour till oil comes on top, strain).
2. Simmer stock with meat for 15 minutes, covered. Also add diced potatoes, tomatoes, beans, onion, carrots, spring onion greens, barley and oregano. Boil. Reduce heat, simmer uncovered till both meat and barley gets cooked.
3. Now remove meat, cut into small bite size pieces, return meat to soup pot. At this stage, soup can be cooled and put in fridge, if not using immediately. Before using it, add salt, pepper and bring to simmer.
4. Before serving, add lemon juice and serve.