Chinese Chicken Soup Stock
• 2.5 kg chicken backs and necks
• 2 slices fresh ginger, each the size of a 25-cent piece
• 2 Chinese preserved turnip or preserved radish (coarsely chopped and )
rinsed with fresh water
1. Place the bones in a large pot and cover with water. On high heat bring the bones barely to a simmer. Foam and scum will form on the top of the pot. Don’t boil the soup, just drain the bones, discarding the water, and rinse well with cold water.
2. Add 4 cups of fresh water for 500 gm of bones, along with the ginger and rinsed dried turnip. Bring to a simmer and cook 1 hour, uncovered.
3. Strain the soup stock and discard the solids.
4. Chill the stock overnight and remove the fat when it has congealed.
5. Freeze the stock and use as desired.