French Onion Soup
• 2 large yellow onions, quartered and sliced very thin
• 1/2 cube butter
• 2 tbsp olive oil
• 3 cups chicken broth
• 1 tsp. nutmeg, freshly grated
• 2/3 cup grated white cheddar
• ½ cup Gruyere cheese, grated
• 1 tsp. fresh ground pepper
• Kosher salt to taste
1. Melt butter in a pan and saute the onions.
2. Add the chicken broth and bring to a simmer. Add the white cheddar, the nutmeg, and the pepper and then adjust salt to taste. Simmer for 5 minutes.
3. Ladle soup into oven-proof bowls, and divide the gruyere cheese on the top of the soup. Place under the broiler until cheese bubbles.