German Cucumber and Potato Soup
• 1 medium cucumber
• 4 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
• 1 tsp salt
• 2 cups cold water
• 1/4 tsp white pepper
• 1 cup heavy cream
• 1/2 cup milk
• 1 green onion, grated
• 1 tsp dried dill weed or 1 tbsp fresh chopped dill
1. Peel the cucumber and slice it lengthwise. Scoop out seeds with a spoon and discard. Dice cucumber.
2. In a heavy saucepan boil potatoes in salted water until the potatoes are very soft. Pour potatoes and cooking liquid into a sieve or food mill set over a large bowl. Force potatoes through. Return to the saucepan.
3. Stir in pepper, cream, milk, grated onion and the cucumber.
4. Simmer gently about 5 minutes or until the cucumber is tender. Add dill and season to taste.
5. Serve hot.