German Pumpkin and Salami Soup
• 2 tbsp canola oil
• 2 tbsp butter
• 500 gm fresh pumpkin flesh
• 1 onion, chopped
• 1 large garlic clove, crushed
• 1/2 tsp. mild curry powder
• a good pinch of dried thyme
• 5 cups chicken or vegetable broth
• 2-3 tbsp. cream
• ½ cup German salami (such as Abraham brand) cut into shreds or quarters
• sea salt and freshly ground pepper
• flat leaf parsley leaves or chervil sprigs, to garnish
1. Heat the oil and butter in a large saucepan and gently sauté the pumpkin with the onion and garlic for about 5 minutes until softened.
2. Add the curry and thyme and cook for one minute then stir in the stock. Bring to the boil, season and simmer, partially covered, for about 15-20 minutes until the flesh is very soft.
3. Now cool, blend and strain the soup.
4. Return to the pan and bring back to the boil. Stir in the cream and then check the seasoning. Pour into warmed soup plates and gently stir through the salami pieces.
5. Sprinkle with the parsley leaves or chervil sprigs and serve with chunks of German rye bread.