Greek Okra with Potatoes
• 1 kg Okra, cleaned
• 1 kg potatoes, pared and cut into large chunks
• 3 onions, chopped
• 6 cloves garlic, chopped
• 2 cups chopped tomatoes
• 1 bay leaf
• salt and pepper to taste
• 1 cup olive oil
• 1 ½ litre water
1. Wash the Okra, sprinkle with salt and vinegar and toss. After a few minutes, rinse them well and spread on a tray to air dry.
2. Pour oil into a large pot, add onions and fry until translucent.
3. Add tomatoes, salt, pepper, and garlic and simmer together for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the Okra and potatoes, and enough water to cover. Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for another 45 minutes.
4. Now cool, blend and strain (optional)
5. Serve with Tomato and Feta salad and a generous portion of Greek Bread.