Hungarian Chilled Sour Cherry Soup
• 500 g sour cherries (ripe and pitted)
• 150 g sugar
• grated peel of half a lemon
• pinch of salt
• ground cinnamon
• 1 tbsp flour
• 100 ml sour cream
1. In a large pan put 1 and half litres of water, the sugar, salt, lemon peel, and cinnamon. Boil for 3-4 minutes and taste to see if the liquid is well-flavoured. If not, let it boil and reduce for another few minutes.
2. Add the cherries to the boiling water and simmer 4-5 minutes.
3. Mix the cream and the flour then stir in slowly a ladle of hot cherry juice. Pour into the soup and boil until it thickens.
4. Leave to cool, serve chilled.