Italian Spicy-Hot Tomato Soup
• 8 tomatoes (plum tomatoes are best)
• 2 cups vegetable broth
• 1 cup bread
• 3 tbsp olive oil (extra virgin)
• 1 bunch fresh basil, finely chopped
• 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
• 1 small chile pod, red, hot (Thai, Serrano, or Birdseye), seeds and stem removed, chopped (or more to taste)
• Salt and pepper to taste
1. Slit tomatoes on the top and submerge in boiling water for a minute. Remove from water, peel and remove seeds.
2. Combine the tomatoes with the vegetable broth in a blender and puree. Remove and heat in a pan until hot.
3. Place sliced bread in four soup plates or bowls.
4. In a bowl, combine the olive oil, basil, garlic, and chile and mix well. Pour heated tomato mixture over the bread and top with garlic-basil-oil mixture. Add salt and pepper to taste.