• 1/4 cup lentils (whole masoor dal)
• 3 tbsp. butter
• 1 tbsp. oil
• 2 onions (finely chopped)
• 1/2 tsp. grated ginger
• 1 tsp. curry powder or garam masala
• 1 dried red pepper (crushed)
• 1 tbsp. corriander powder
• 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
• 2 tbsp. flour
• 2 carrots (chopped)
• 2 red potatoes (diced)
• 2 tomatoes (diced)
• 6 cups vegetable stock or water
• Juice of one lemon
• 1/4 cup corriander leaves (chopped)
• 1 cup coconut milk
• Salt to taste
1. Pour enough warm water over lentils to cover well, put aside. This is to soak the lentils before cooking.
2. Melt butter and oil in large pan, add chopped onion and cook until transparent. Add ginger cook 1 minute more. Add curry powder, dried red pepper, ground coriander, freshly ground black pepper and stir over low heat 2 minutes.
3. Add flour to pan, stir over low heat 1 minute.
4. Stir in the carrots, potatoes and tomatoes and the drained lentils. Reduce heat, simmer uncovered 20 minutes, cover pan, simmer 30 minutes or until vegetables and lentils are tender.
5. Puree in blender or food processor. Return soup to pan, bring to boil. Season the soup with salt according to your taste. Stir in lemon juice and corriander leaves and simmer 5 minutes more. Reduce heat, stir in coconut milk.
6. Serve hot. Add a few teaspoons of freshly made plain white rice.