Middle East Broad Bean and Vegetable Soup
Serves 8 to 10
• 2 cups large broad beans, soaked for about 24 hours
• 1 tbsp olive oil
• 2 medium onions, chopped
• 4 cloves garlic, crushed
• 1 hot pepper, finely chopped 2 medium tomatoes, chopped into small pieces
• 1 medium carrot, finely chopped
• 1 medium potato, diced into 1/2-inch cubes
• 1/2 cup finely chopped coriander leaves
• 2 tsp salt
• 1 tsp pepper
• 1 tsp cumin
• 8 cups water
1. Drain beans, remove skins, and set beans aside.
2. Heat oil in a saucepan; then saute onions, garlic, and hot pepper for 10 minutes. Add remaining ingredients and bring to boil. Cover and cook over medium heat for 1 hour or until broad beans are well-cooked, stirring a few times and adding more water if necessary.
4 cups of pre-cooked fava beans can be substituted for the 2 cups of dry beans. If the cooked fava beans are used, cook the soup for only about 40 minutes.