Middle East Broad Bean Soup
Serves 8 to 10
• 2 cups large broad beans, soaked for about 24 hours
• 8 cups water
• 1 tbsp olive oil
• 2 tbsp grated ginger
• 2 cloves garlic, crushed
• 2 tsp salt
• 1 tsp pepper
• 1 tsp cumin
• 1/4 cup lemon juice
• 2 tbsp finely chopped parsley
1. Drain beans and remove skins. Place beans in saucepan with water and bring to boil. Cover and cook over medium heat for 1-1/2 hours or until well-cooked.
2. Allow to cool. Puree in a blender; then return to saucepan and bring to boil, adding more water if necessary. Stir in remaining ingredients, except parsley, and bring to boil. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring a few times.
3. Place in bowls; then garnish with parsley before serving.