Middle East Chickpea Soup
Serves 6 to 8
• 1 cup chickpeas, soaked in water overnight, then drained
• 8 cups water
• 1 tbsp olive oil
• 2 medium size onions, chopped
• 8 cloves garlic, chopped into small pieces
• 1 small hot pepper, finely chopped
• 1/2 cup finely chopped coriander leaves
• 2 tsp salt
• 1 tsp pepper
• 1 tsp ground mustard seeds
• 1/4 cup lemon juice
1. Place chickpeas and water in a saucepan and bring to boil. Cover and cook over medium heat for 1 hour.
2. In the meantime, heat oil in a frying pan; then stir-fry onions, garlic, and hot pepper until they begin to brown.
3. Add frying pan contents with the remaining ingredients to the chickpeas. Cover and cook over medium heat for 1 hour or until chickpeas are well-cooked.