Nicaragua Chayote Soup from Latin America
Chayotes are a pale green vegetable. They are sort of shaped like a pear. This soup is also common in Morelos, Mexico, without the chicken.
• 2 large chayotes, peeled and sliced
• pinch of salt
• 1 medium onion, finely chopped
• 1 clove garlic, chopped
• 2 tbsp butter
• 1 tbsp flour
• 4 cups of chicken stock
• 1 cup of cooked shredded chicken
• white pepper
1. Using enough water to cover the vegetable, simmer the chayotes in salted water until tender, about twenty minutes. Reserve two cups of the cooking liquid.
2. Place the chayotes and the liquid it in a blender or food processor. Blend until you have a smooth puree.
3. In a saucepan sauté the onion and garlic in butter until the onion is soft. Stir in the flour and cook for about 1 minute. Do not brown the flour.
4. Add the chicken stock and cook until the mixture is smooth.
5. Add the chicken, the chayote mixture, salt and pepper, and simmer covered about 5 minutes.
6. Serve hot.