North America’s Cheese and green chili soup
Dip each chili in olive oil and place on a cookie sheet. Place under broiler, about 3″ from heat source. Broil until chilies are slightly scorched. Turn chilies and repeat process. It will take only 3 to 4 minutes on each side. Place chilies in freezer 3 hrs. Remove and pull skin from flesh of chilies. Remove seeds and membranes. Use with any recipe calling for green chilies.
Cheese and Green Chili Soup
• 2 tbs. butter
• 2 onions, diced
• 4 cloves fresh garlic, chopped
• 15 freshly roasted green chilies
• 5 ripe tomatoes, diced
• 6 medium white potatoes, peeled and cut into 1″ cubes
• 16 cups water
• 4 cups Longhorn Colby or Cheddar cheese, shredded
• Salt to taste
1. In a large soup pot, melt butter and saute onions and garlic over medium heat. When onions are soft, add green chilies and tomatoes. Simmer 10 minutes, stirring every minute or so.
2. Add potatoes and water. Cook over medium heat until potatoes are done, 10 to 20 minutes.
3. Add cheese. On very low heat, simmer about 30 minutes.
4. Add salt to taste.
5. For best results, allow to cool overnight and serve the next day.