Russian Nettle Soup
Nettle is one of the first plants to show up in spring. It contains many valuable nutrients including vitamin C. It is a widespread weed growing practically everywhere people allow it to grow. The best for soups and salads are the youngest upper two or four leaves.
• 4 cups nettles rinsed with boiling water and chopped
• 1 onion, chopped
• 2 tbsp rice (uncooked)
• 2 eggs
• Juice of 1 lemon
• 1 sprig parsley, root and greens, chopped
• 1 stalk celery (with leaves), chopped
• 1 tbsp fresh baby dill, chopped
• 8 peppercorns, whole
• 4 cloves garlic, minced
• 1.5 liters of water or any broth
• Salt (to taste)
1. Place rice, parsley, celery, spices, onion and salt in the broth or water in a saucepan and boil 10-12 minutes. Add the nettles, boil 10 more minutes.
2. Remove pan from heat, cover with several towels and let stand for at least 30 minutes.
3. Add lemon juice and garlic; garnish with sour cream and fresh dill.
4. Serve hot.