Spanish Ajo blanco – almond and garlic soup
• 300g shelled almonds
• 400g white bread
• 1 tbsp white vinegar
• 3-4 garlic cloves
• 1/4 teacup extra virgin olive oil
• chopped seedless white grapes or croutons
1. Place the almonds, the cloves of garlic, the decrusted white bread, a pinch of salt and some water in a blender until a paste is formed.
2. Add the olive oil and the vinegar during the blending. Now add about 4 cups of water until your preferred thickness of soup is obtained. Continue blending to mix the ingredients well.
3. Place the soup in a fridge for 2 to 3 hours and serve chilled.
4. Ajo Blanco can be served hot if preferred. Heat in a pan and serve straight away.