• 1 tbsp peanut or vegetable oil
• 1⁄4 cup chopped shallots
• 1 tsp. chopped garlic
• 1⁄2 “ piece fresh galangal (Thai ginger) or Chinese ginger, sliced and bruised
• 2 cups chicken broth or vegetable stock to make it vegetarian
• 750 gm fresh tomatoes chopped
• 3 tbsp Lemon Grass Salad Splash
• 1 tsp. salt
• 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, coarsely chopped
• 2 tbsp green onions, coarsely chopped
• 2 tbsp Barbecue Sauce
• 2 tsp. mint, coarsely chopped
• 1 cup cucumber, seeded and chopped
• sprigs of leftover fresh cilantro and cucumber slices
1. Heat oil saute shallots until translucent. Add garlic and galangal and saute 1 minute or until aromatic. Add chicken (or vegetable) broth and 500 gm tomatoes, and bring to a boil. Simmer for 20 minutes, then cool to room temperature.
2. Strain mixture, separating the pulp and the liquid. Reserve the liquid and set aside. To the strained pulp, add the remaining 250 gm chopped tomatoes, lemon grass salad splash, salt, cilantro, green onions, barbecue sauce, mint and cucumber. Transfer to a food processor or blender.
3. Lightly chop mixture, using a pulsing action, to desired consistency. Combine this mixture with reserved liquid and chill thoroughly.
4. Pour into individual bowls and garnish with sprigs of fresh cilantro and cucumber slices.