Thai Hot & Sour Prawn Soup
• 500 gm prawns or large shrimp, shelled and deveined
• 6 cups fish stock, vegetable stock
• 1⁄4 cup rice vinegar
• 2 stalks fresh lemon grass, thinly sliced 1 tbsp fresh galangal (Thai ginger) or Chinese ginger, minced
• 4 kaffir lime leaves
• 1 tbsp Roasted Red Chili Paste
• 1 cup shiitake mushrooms, sliced
• 2 tbsp Fish Sauce
• 3 tbsp fresh lime juice
• 2 tbsp palm sugar or brown sugar
• 2 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
• 1 to 2 Thai chilies, sliced, and sprigs of fresh cilantro
1. Peel and devein prawns.
2. In a large stockpot, combine stock and vinegar; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and bring to a simmer. Stir in lemon grass, galangal, kaffir lime leaves and roasted red chili paste; reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
3. In a bowl, combine fish sauce, lime juice and sugar; blend well to dissolve sugar. Add prawns, shiitake mushrooms and fish sauce mixture to stockpot and simmer until prawns are just cooked or turn orange-pink in color, about 1-2 minutes.
4. Remove lemon grass and kaffir lime leaves before serving.
5. Serve garnished with chopped cilantro and chilies.