Thai Hot & Sour Soup
• 350 gm chicken, or cleaned shrimp, shelled and deveined, or firm tofu, strained and cubed
• 3cups chicken or vegetable stock
• 3 pieces fresh lemongrass (tender bottom 2/3 inch of stalk only)
• 2-3 tbsp Fish Sauce
• 1/3 cup fresh lime juice
• 2 kaffir lime leaves (optional)
• 1” piece fresh galangal (Thai ginger) or Chinese ginger, sliced and bruised
• 2 tbsp sugar
• 1 tbsp Roasted Red Chili Paste
• 400 gm straw mushrooms, drained
• Optional garnish: sprigs of fresh cilantro
1. Bone and skin the chicken; cut into large pieces.
2. In a large pot, combine the stock, lemongrass, fish sauce, lime juice, kaffir lime leaves, galangal and sugar. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
3. Add roasted red chili paste and stir well to incorporate.
4. Add the mushrooms and the chicken and simmer for an additional 10 to 15 minutes until chicken is cooked. (If using shrimp or tofu, simmer for an additional 10 minutes then add into soup. Cook until shrimp turns orange-pink in color or tofu is tender, about 1 to 2 minutes.)
5. Remove lemongrass, kaffir lime leaves and galangal from soup before serving.
6. Garnish with cilantro.