Thai Pumpkin Bisque
• 625 gm pumpkin (or other winter squash)
• 2 cloves garlic, crushed
• 2 shallots, sliced
• 2 pieces fresh lemon grass, cut in half and bruised
• 2 cups chicken broth
• 2 tbsp Roasted Chili Paste
• 2 kaffir lime leaves, broken in half
• 1 ½ cup Coconut Milk
• 2 tbsp Fish Sauce
• 1 tsp. sugar
• white pepper to taste
• sprigs of fresh cilantro and 2 small red chilies, seeded and thinly sliced for garnishing
1. Peel pumpkin and cut into 1⁄2” cubes.
2. In a food processor, or with mortar and pestle, grind garlic, shallots and lemon grass into a paste.
3. In a wok or large skillet, bring chicken broth to a boil. Add garlic mixture, chili paste and kaffir lime leaves; stir to dissolve chili paste. Add pumpkin and simmer for 15 minutes or until pumpkin is tender. Stir in coconut milk and return to a simmer.
4. Add fish sauce, sugar and white pepper. Simmer for an additional 5 minutes. Remove any large pieces of lemon grass and kaffir lime leaves. Cool slightly and puree in a food processor or blender. Serve warm or chilled. Garnish with red chilies and sprigs of fresh cilantro leaves.