Vegetable Brown Stock I
carrots, celery, bell peppers, garlic, onions and any other vegetable of your choice.
1. Clean the vegetables and chop them into big chunks.
2. Add about 1/2 cup of water to the bottom of the pan and roast the vegetables at 300-350 degrees in the oven until everything is dark brown.
3. Now transfer the vegetables into a new pot and put over the stove.
4. Cover vegetables with water, and use some water to disolve brown solids in roasting pan.
5. Cook until the vegetables are really soft.
6. Cool, blend and strain out the solids.
7. Continue cooking the stock until it is very dark. Vegetable stock is much more delicate than meat stock, so it needs more reducing.
8. When it looks like a really good French onion soup, it’s done. Refrigerate and use as needed.