West African Potato Soup with Parsley or Nutmeg
• 25g butter
• 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
• 550g potatoes, peeled and sliced
• 700 ml chicken or vegetable stock
• salt and freshly ground pepper
• 300 ml milk
• 1/4 tsp grated nutmeg or 3 tbsp finely chopped fresh parsley
• 3 tbsp double cream (optional)
1. Melt the butter in a pan and add the onion and potatoes. Cook gently for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, without browning.
2. Add the stock and seasoning. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer gently for 20-25 minutes until the vegetables are very soft.
3. Now cool, blend and strain.
4. Return the soup to the pan and stir in the milk and nutmeg or parsley. Bring to the boil then simmer gently for 5 minutes.
Stir in the cream (if using), just before serving.
5. Serve topped with crunchy croutons made by browning some small cubes of bread in butter or oil.