• 3 kg. chicken bones
• 6 lit. water
• 1 cup onion chopped
• 1/2 cup carrots chopped
• 1/2 cup celery
• 1 bay leaf
• 1/8 tsp dried thyme
• 1/8 tsp black peppercorns
1. Wash chicken bones well and place into a stockpot, cover with water, and place over a moderate flame. Bring to a boil, drain, and rinse.
2. Now return bones to the stockpot, cover with 6 litre cold water, and place over a medium flame.
3. Tie the bay, thyme, peppercorns, parsley, and cloves in cheesecloth and put this sachet into the stockpot and simmer gently for 3-4 hours, adding water as necessary to cover bones.
4. After 3-4 hours cool, strain and chill the stock.
5. Remove and discard accumulated fat from the top of chilled stock.
6. Return to a low flame and reduce as necessary.
7. Refrigerate or use as desired.
• variations include use of veal bones, lamb bones, turkey bones, or ham bones
• when using veal bones, simmer for 6-8 hours, turkey or lamb, simmer 3-4 hours